Thursday 25 July 2013

Deep Fried Pork Belly With Fermented Bean Curd- The Hakka Style

Deep Fried Pork Belly With Fermented Bean Curd- The Hakka Style
Deep Fried Pork Belly With
Fermented Bean Curd - Hakka Style

This is a dish that my whole family loves, it’s not my family’s recipe as it’s a traditional Hakka dish. My ancestral roots are from Foo-Chow, China. My mother’s family from Canton, I have learnt most of my cooking methods from my grandmother and our family’s old cook. But today I would like to share this recipe that was given to me from my partner’s father, he was a chef once, (I don’t know what he is doing now in the world yonder, maybe a chef too, who knows?)
As he never shared his cooking methods and recipes with anyone. Not until one day we exchanged some food thoughts and I made a Cantonese styled Yong Tow Foo/ Yong Tau Foo (酿豆腐) did he then opened up and shared with me tiny little secrets that will make that difference in every recipe and dish. But today’s woking is nothing fanciful, but once you’ve tried it, I bet you will always be lured into cooking it again. This particular dish is what we Chinese call simple home cooked food (家 常 便 饭 ).
Marinated pork with Deep Fried Pork Belly With Fermented Bean Curd- The Hakka Style
Marinated pork with Deep Fried Pork Belly
 With Fermented Bean Curd- The Hakka Style
Bottle of Fermented Beancurd - Nam Yiu

Let’s get woking

Ingredients:
  • 300 grams of fresh pork belly
  • 2 cubes of fermented beancurd (Name Yee)
  • 1/2 tsp of Sesame Oil
  • 1/2 tsp of Dark Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp of 5 Spice Powder
  • 2 tsp of Chinese wine (Hua Diao or Shaoxing)
  • 2 tbs of sugar
  • 1 tsp of salt ( or 2 tsp of soy sauce)
  • 2 tbs of plan flour
  • 1 egg
Method:
  1. Cut the pork belly about 2″ a piece
  2. Mix fermented bean curd, sesame oil, dark soy sauce, 5 spice powder, Chinese wine, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
  3. Add pork belly into mixture and blend it well.
  4. Leave it in the fridge for at least 4 hours, if not more or overnight
  5. Mix plain flour and eggs  evenly. ( make sure all the lumps are gone)
  6. Dip pork belly into the batter just before frying. ( fry them in batches)
  7. Drain off oil and serve with steamy hot rice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment